Sonic Advance was released on the Game Boy Advance in December 2001 this was also released for the Nokia N-gage under the title Sonic N. This game returned Sonic back to his 2D platforming roots, and also fused it with elements from Sonic Adventure, such as extra attacks and the ability to grind on rails. There are four playable characters in this game: Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, and Amy Rose. The characters all share the same levels, but possess their own unique attacks.
- Neo Green Hill Zone
- Secret Base Zone
- Casino Paradise Zone
- Ice Mountain Zone
- Angel Island Zone
- Egg Rocket Zone (one act, no boss fight)
- Cosmic Angel Zone (one act, boss fight at the end)
- X-Zone (final boss fight)
- The Moon Zone (only accessable as Super Sonic if the player has collected all seven Chaos Emeralds and beat the game as all four characters)
Electric Gaming Monthly: 7.67/10
Game Informer: 8.5/10
Nintendo Power: 4.2/5
- This was the first Sonic Game to be released for a Nintendo handheld, with Sonic Adventure 2 Battle being the first one on a Nintendo console overall, after the DreamCast's discontinuation.
- If you go to the Character Select, highlight Sonic and press Up, Right, Down, RIght, L, Right, R, Right, play as Sonic and select any level, you can have Tails follow you, reminiscent of the Genesis games.